The Algerian Naval Forces insure the defense of different zones of national maritime domain, notably with regard to:
- Surveillance and safety of the naval airspace;
- defense of the national maritime space;
- protection of the national maritime interests;
- coastal defense and protection of the littoral;
- various missions of public service on sea.
For the execution of its missions, the Algerian Naval Forces are organized as follows:
Under water action force constituted of submarines;
Surface action force constituted of ships and guided missile corvettes , anding craft, logistic support vessels, patrol boat and support ships;
Naval aviation action force;
Action force for the coastal defense the consists of missiles and coast artillery;
Units of marine troops and Special Forces;
Forming structures (schools, centers, school-ships);
Structures of logistic and technic support.